Smoothies are a great way to start the day! I love making smoothies of all varieties, mixing it up with different fruits and greens. Today I made a blueberry smoothie that’s so easy to make. Berries are high in antioxidants, great for countering free radicals that are always being produced in our bodies as a result of living life! So eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants keeps us feeling and looking young and vibrant.
Raw Blueberry Maca Smoothie
All you need is a blender for this one…
- Base: This is up to you, this morning I used one whole coconut, (meat and juice), as a creamy base. You can also use fresh nut or seed milk or simply water if you like, or a little fresh pressed orange or apple juice. (Blueberries are already pretty sweet, so go easy on the juice if you do decide to add fresh juice to your smoothie. Also avoid juices if your hypoglycaemic and experience any blood sugar imbalances)
- Add in as much blueberry as you want. I used about 1-2 cups
- Add 1-2 bananas
- A little vanilla, and/or cinnamon powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Maca.
Health Benefits of Maca
Maca is high in nutrients
Maca is the highest growing altitude plant in the world, growing at 7,000 to 11,000 feet in the mountains of Peru. Maca root is a superfood naturally high in vitamins and minerals the body needs for nourishment. Maca root contains significant amounts of amino acids, carbohydrates, and minerals including calcium, phosphorous, zinc, magnesium, iron, as well as vitamins B1, B2, B12, C and E.
Maca is an Adaptogen
Maca root is an adaptogen, which means that it increases the body’s ability to defend itself against physical and mental weakening. Adaptogens increase resistance to stress and fatigue, help the body regain balance and ward off potential illness.
Endocrine System and Hormonal Regulation
One of the most powerful benefits of Maca is that it helps support and enhance endocrine function. Basically, it balances the hormonal system. It supports the adrenal glands and the pituitary gland (also known as the master gland) which regulates all hormone production in the body. Hormonal balance is important in the body because they help regulate energy levels, fertility, sexual function, digestion, as well as brain and nervous system physiology.
Overall Benefits of Maca Root
- Nourishes glandular system
- Improves physical and emotional well being
- Helps body cope with stress
- Increases energy
- Treat sexual dysfunction
- Increases stamina & athletic performance
- Fertility enhancement
- Promotes mental clarity
- Balance hormones
- Treat PMS and mood swings
- Menopause symptom relief, including reduced hot flashes
- Sexual stimulation
Lots of benefits to be gained by incorporating maca root into your daily wellness lifestyle for both men and women. I’ve found that the best way to buy it and take it is in powder form. I’ve seen maca being sold for extremely expensive in the health food stores, especially in capsule form. Just to give you a marker for pricing, I usually pay around $15 a pound for maca and never more than $20 per pound. If you can’t find any good sources of maca for a decent price you can contact me and I’ll help source some for you!
Have a wonderful day and enjoy the many benefits of raw living food!
Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii,